Holiday Travel Tips

Holiday Travel Tips

Many of us will soon be venturing out to visit family and friends for the holidays. If you aren’t prepared with a plan before hitting the road you may find yourself losing the progress that you’ve worked so hard for this year. Our goal should be to progress  year to year instead of restarting your weight loss journey every January 1st. Utilize these strategies to keep yourself trim and on track this holiday season. 

1. Follow the 80/20 rule

Eat healthy balanced meals 80% of the time and allow yourself to indulge the remaining 20%. This equates to 4 “fun” meals per week. Even while traveling stick to this rule to keep junk food from creeping in. 

2. Pack healthy snacks for the road

Many people take traveling as an opportunity to load up on their favorite fast food and gas station snacks. Plan ahead and bring healthy snacks so that you aren’t tempted to grab candy and cheeseburgers. (Examples: trail mix, protein bars, nuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, roasted chickpeas, fruit)

3. Have healthy snacks before attending holiday functions

Reducing your hunger before attending holiday functions will greatly reduce your ability to overeat. Pay attention to your hunger cues and stop when you are satisfied, not when you are painfully full. 

4. Limit alcohol intake

Keeping your alcohol intake to a minimum is an easy way to shave off some calories from your day. Try to do no more than 3 drinks, 2 times a week. (1 serving of alcohol is 1 12oz beer, 5oz of wine or 1oz of 80 proof liquor)

5. Work exercise into your schedule

Take the time to find activity over the holidays. Go for a run, do a home HIIT workout or drop into a local box. You will appreciate the family feast much more after working up a sweat.

6. Avoid binging cycles

Do not skip meals to make room to binge. Try to make your other 2 meals healthy to find balance in your day. 

7. Stay well hydrated

It is tempting to not drink very much while traveling to reduce bathroom breaks, but we still need to make hydration a priority. Women need aproximitely 3L (101oz) of water per day and men need 4L (135oz).

8. Make sleep a priority

Even though traveling can be hectic and sleeping in another bed can be tough, it is crucial that we still try to get 7-9 hours of sleep to be at our best. Navigating the holiday season is hard enough, we shouldn’t attempt to approach it exhausted. 


Schedule your
free intro

Talk with a coach about your goals, get the plan to achieve them.

fill out this form to get started >>

Take the first step towards getting the results that you want!